Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Living in the City - Never a dull moment # 1

6:00 AM. 
I'm asleep.
Or at least - I think I am. 
In my dream I hear someone yelling at somebody and a dog barking.
Wait a minute - it's not a dream! I'm awake!
My neighbor - who ownes a dog - is yelling at someone and his dog is barking:
"Go away from here! do you hear me? go away! get out of the fu@#ing building! I'm gonna call the police!".
I get up and check the peep hole.
On the floor in fromt of my neighbor's door sits an old, dirty man, holding the door knob and begging: "pls. let me in! this is my home! for christ sake!" (read in a heavy Eastern European accent).
Now I hear the Superintendant:"Sir, I'm gonna have to ask you to leave the building. you are disturbing the tenants. It's trespassing." and another "I will have to call the police".
what the hell is going on here? how long does it take them to call the police? 
I called 911.
5 minutes later a huge policewoman and a small policeman arrive. They as well try to ask the homeless guy to leave. Amazing.
After 5 minutes trying to convince the homeless to get up on his feet and leave willingly (all this time he sits on the floor keep saying this is his apartment and that he had been living there since 1998!), they decide to take an action. They put on their latex gloves, pul the man up, handcuff hm and take him downstairs. In the meantime an ambulance came, and they are waiting with a strecher in the street.
Too much drama for one morning. Now I am fully awake. 
Note to myself: Next time - find an apartment in a doorman building.

1 comment:

  1. So sad...........
    Part of the reason this is happening is that in order to save money, mental health facilities in New York discharge patients before they get well, and they do it without a good plan to take care of them outside the facilities. The result is that the patients come back when they are arrested. (It's a revolving door)......

    ReplyDelete